Author Topic: Versacarry?  (Read 2572 times)

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Versacarry?
« on: May 07, 2016, 01:56:34 PM »
Hey, anyone seen those Versacarry AIWB "holsters"?

They are a very minimal AIWB plastic device.

I bought one last week, just because, and have worn it a day or two.
So far I have no complaints.

I'm on the road right now so don't have a pic to upload.

Just wondering if any opinions out there!

Happy days

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Versacarry?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 03:13:18 PM »
Jean and I gave a Versacarry "holster" quite an exhaustive workout.
We didn't like it. Neither of us.
Our more important complaints were:

1. The Versacarry positioned Jean's Kel-Tec P-3AT too deeply inside the waistband of our pants, making the quick acquisition of a full firing grip before presentation almost impossible for me, and quite difficult for her. There was no way to adjust this.

2. It was impossible to re-holster the pistol onto the Versacarry, without first completely removing the Versacarry from our pants. Thus, re-holstering either one-handed or quickly, either of which could be necessary in many different situations, was absolutely unavailable to the Versacarry user. Further, removing the Versacarry from the waistband was a slow, difficult, two-hand process. And what do you do with the gun, while you're struggling with the Versacarry?

3. The Versacarry stayed in position on our pants fairly well, but nevertheless it did swivel enough to make finding the gun in an emergency less quick than it should be.

4. The accessory trigger-guarding piece was essentially useless. Worse, when it was attached to the "holster," it got in the way of establishing a full firing grip.

Having seen, but never handled or used, Versacarry's reload-magazine carrier, we think that it might actually be both handy and practical. Some day we may even try it.
However, the spring-metal Safariland device which we now use, which I carry in a cargo pocket and Jean carries attached to her pants' waist, works so well that we see no reason to change.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

oldranger53

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 04:28:15 PM »
Thanks Steve!

I admit to still having reservations about the device.
Guess I'll need to do some more research on my own!

I cannot get a full grip before drawing either.  Moreover, I haven't explored all the reholstering situations possible, as of yet.

The main attraction to me is and has been the small bulk involved.

As of now I have a full coverage kydex AIWB, two soft medium coverage AIWB, and this skimpy Versacarry AIWB to choose from.

I find myself choosing the soft medium and the skimpy Versacarry over the full coverage kydex, nearly every time.

Have some ideas about how to make the kydex one more gut-friendly, but haven't implemented those ideas yet.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 10:46:11 PM »
Galco, and a few other makers, provide minimal, clip-on, leather IWB rigs that both Jean and I have tested, and of which we both approve.
I guess that it all depends upon which pistol you desire to carry.

The first one which comes immediately to hand is Galco's Stow-n-Go, which costs a little less than $30.00. I think that it was one of the best of all the clip-on, IWB rigs that we tested.
It's made of chrome-tanned, sueded cowhide, and it clips IWB equally well onto either Jean's soft fleece-fabric pants or my stiffer-fabric trousers.
It has a spring-steel stiffener at its top, so one-hand re-holstering is easy, and it places the pistol's grip just above the waistline so you can grab it properly.

Galco: http://www.galcogunleather.com/content/p/8?header_search_button=Search&product_search=Stow-n-Go

High Noon's Bare Asset is another good one.
See it at: http://www.highnoonholsters.com/store/lite-duty-holsters/bare-asset/

A.E. Nelson's #92CL is excellent, and boasts the best IWB clip we'd seen, but it's expensive.
Click on: http://nelsonleather.com/product_info.php?products_id=263

Last, Gould & Goodrich has the #890, which Jean really liked. It costs under $30.00.
Look at: http://gouldusa.com/products/WP-showModel.php?bare_page=1&id_main=24
Steve,

oldranger53

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 10:29:54 AM »
Thanks for the links!

I like em!  Will probably try a couple.
I particularly like the High Noon stuff!

Grins

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 10:36:10 AM »
I have tried numerous types of holsters in my years of carrying a hand gun; IWB, OWB no matter.  I have tried Smart Carry, VersaCarry, and T-shirt carry among others including chest and belly bands.  I have tried appendix carry, shoulder-holster carry, and hip carry. Somehow, I have stuck with hip carry even with the Glock G43, Springfield XDs pistols, and even the Bersa Thunder 380.  I will admit; however, to using the Smart Carry under sweats or when wearing bibs. 

What I have found over the years, is that in order to have a sold platform for the firearm, a two-point attachment system is best.

When I took CR's course, I wore an OWB holster that I had never worn before, but had bought for the 1911 in case I needed a good OWB holster.  Even with being unfamiliar with this holster, I was able to properly holster the "safe" Ruger SR1911CMD-A after each drill without fail and without taking my eyes off the target.  The saying, "Draw fast and holster slowly" is indeed important.  I have no use for any holster that I have to "find" or otherwise have to manipulate the pistol (or revolver) into strange position in order to holster it.

I prefer double-point attachment systems over single point (such as a single loop or clip) simply because this arrangement add stability to the holster and helps to prevent (as Steve noted) changes in holster/firearm cant. Of course, holster height is as important in regards to clearance of a hand gun's gripping area in relation to the belt.  In short, I want the holster to be in the same position when holstering the firearm as it was when I withdrew the firearm from it.

I know of several people who appendix carry in a hybrid holster with a single attachment point.  Nearly all of them have stated, at one point or another, that the holster have shifted during normal carry, which I consider a detriment.  With that said, I do have several holsters from a well-known manufacturer that collapse when used IWB and which never be worn for EDC; I have no use for two-handed holstering.

Call me a wussy (I really don't care) but a hybrid holster with two attachment points fits my wants and needs for handgun safety and security.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 11:26:46 AM »
Let it be noted that I agree about the two attachment points — or, at least, one very wide attachment point (for instance, a paddle).
However, I supplied references which were built upon Wade's original interest.
Steve,

oldranger53

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 01:08:22 PM »

<snip>

Wade's original interest.

Ohhhhh now that is a wide and varied topic for sure!

Holy crap! Much can be said about original interest!

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 04:36:57 PM »
...Much can be said about original interest!

...In my case, none of it printable on a family-appropriate forum.
Steve,

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
Let it be noted that I agree about the two attachment points — or, at least, one very wide attachment point (for instance, a paddle).
However, I supplied references which were built upon Wade's original interest.

I am not dunning your references at all.  All of those referenced are excellent choices.

One time during a ride on the HD, I was carrying my SP101 in a Bianchi clip on IWB holster.  Because of my "relaxed" riding position, the holster clip started to remove itself from the belt.  I felt the gun butt pressing against the inside of my leather jacket and pulled the bike over to the side of the road to adjust things. Had it not been for my leather jacket, the gun and holster might have both hit the road. Since that time, I have have sold the Bianchi holster and have never again worn a simple clip on holster.  If I carry the SP101, it is in a Cross Breed Super Tuck Deluxe holster that is molded to the gun and has dual attachment points.

That is not saying that if I had carried the gun in the appendix position (or at least forward of the hip) that the problem would have presented itself; it probably would not have since my body would have held it in place.  Note that this particular holster (the Bianchi) had a thumb break so the holster and gun was a unit.

For a while, and when riding, I would carry in a butt-pack that was positioned on the front of the body and it seemed to work well.  I still use a butt-pack on occasion when carrying a small pistol like the Springfield XDs.  I have noticed that most people don't even notice it (unless they are trained to).  When I see a butt pack, I immediately think that the person is carrying. But, I'm a gun guy, former LEO, blah, blah, blah and that is to be expected.

Wade simply asked for opinions and I presented mine. Again, no dun on your selection of holsters.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 01:14:38 PM »
Ummmm, if I may, I've noticed more than one instance in the last couple years, that somehow an IWB somehow worked it's way up without me feeling it or otherwise knowing.
Then, to my horror, nearly allowed the EDC of the day to perch atop my waistband, just waiting for a chance to fall out onto the floor, or road surface.
Thus far I've been sensitive enough to the changes to deal with it before embarrassment.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 01:55:31 PM »
Um, Taurian, I am not the least bit thin-skinned, at least when it comes to people I consider to be friends.
I was merely explaining my references, not complaining that you seemed to have criticized them.
I saw no criticism in your post at all, as a matter of fact.

As a friend, you may criticize me freely, without fear of retaliation.
However, do bear in mind that I am an excellent long-range rifle shot.
Steve,

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »
Um, Taurian, I am not the least bit thin-skinned, at least when it comes to people I consider to be friends.
I was merely explaining my references, not complaining that you seemed to have criticized them.
I saw no criticism in your post at all, as a matter of fact.

As a friend, you may criticize me freely, without fear of retaliation.
However, do bear in mind that I am an excellent long-range rifle shot.
Smile when you say that, Pilgrim!  ;D