Author Topic: NYPD Approves Springfield Armory XD-S For Off-Duty Use  (Read 532 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: NYPD Approves Springfield Armory XD-S For Off-Duty Use
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 08:23:29 AM »
They need "approval" in their choice of off duty weapons?

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: NYPD Approves Springfield Armory XD-S For Off-Duty Use
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 11:05:28 AM »
They need "approval" in their choice of off duty weapons?

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Yes. Departments have to authorize what you carry off duty. You also have to qualify with that off-duty carry when you qualify with your on-duty carry.

It used to be a hoot when several of us deputies would show up for qualifying with 5 or six off-duty carry guns.  Each of those firearms were "department approved" and would range from Smith & Wesson Model 36 to privately-owned .357 magnums.  The only gun that was not approved (aside from my L.A.R Grizzly Win-Mag in .45 Winchester Magnum) was my Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum.  While the department did prevent me from carrying a Series 80 MK IV Government Model 1911 on-duty, they did allow my Series 80 MK IV Commander to be carried off-duty. Go figure!

In some departments, off-duty carry guns are dictated by policy. Some departments, as mine was in the old days, were more lenient as long as you qualified and showed competency with the firearm - that was before we became a seriously litigious society and before there was a new Sheriff elected.

As I have mentioned before, I went from a Government model 1911 to the Sig Sauer P220 to the Smith & Wesson 686 before I left the department; whereupon, the new Sheriff switched EDC to the Beretta 92, which was the EDC for the department that he had left (as a lieutenant in another county's Sheriff's department) prior to getting elected as Sheriff of my county.  The county (all police agencies in the county, including city PDs) have since moved to Glock pistols.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.