Author Topic: The Effectiveness of the .40 caliber was tested...  (Read 651 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: The Effectiveness of the .40 caliber was tested...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 02:41:13 PM »
Of course I haven't shot a bad guy with my .40...yet, else yall would have heard about it here on the forum.
However, after nearly 2 years of getting to know this round, I've decided that (for me at least), it's about as good as it gets for personal carry...for me at least.

I know we all have our preferences.  It's like a religion.  We like what we like, and until 2 years ago when I got side tracked away from the RIA 1911 I was planning on buying, I was a dedicated .45acp guy.
Now I'm not so sure.
Total package considered, the .40 has "almost" as much wallop as the .45 (depending on what parameter you choose to compare) and about 5 more rounds per magazine...judged by my EDC and magazine variants.
So, I'm comfortable.

Ideally I'd have a .44mag in a 2 pound package that holds 15 rounds between reloads.  But, ha ha...that will never happen...or will it?

for now, I'm quite certain the .40 is about as good as it gets...for me.
Like my choice for a fighting rifle, it's not for everyone...but it's what I trust!....and that really counts!  You must TRUST the gun you put your life on the line with.  That's all I got.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: The Effectiveness of the .40 caliber was tested...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:47:19 AM »
Of the many hand gun cartridges available to us today, there is not one that I prefer to be shot with.

The 10mm short (.40 S&W) was developed to accommodate those in the law enforcement community that could not handle the felt recoil of the 10mm. I have shot the 10mm in a couple of handguns where in one (a Glock), I did not like the felt recoil and muzzle flip; while in another (an EAA Witness) the felt recoil and muzzle flip was very manageable. The 1911 in 10mm also feels good in my hand.  The hand gun, and the person holding the handgun is what makes the difference. Shooting a .45 acp, 230-grain bullet out of a 3.5-inch barrel is somewhat the same as shooting a .40 caliber out of a 4-inch barreled pistol; the recoil is snappy and the muzzle rise extreme.  Of course, the same can be said for firing a .357 magnum out of a 2.25-inch barreled revolver.  Law enforcement has a tendency to make a "one size fits all" decision when they issue firearms and individual preferences are not considered - not that many LEOs have a preference, as many (but not all) are not experienced enough in firearms to determine a preference in the first place.

Luckily, for us civilians, we can pick and choose what hand gun in which we want to carry a specific caliber of ammunition. For me, it is having the heaviest hand gun that I feel comfortable carrying for any given caliber.  While I like polymer and aluminum-framed guns for carrying, I don't like them for shooting (they make me work too hard); I like the weight of an all-steel gun and I am willing to give up some carrying comfort (suspenders do help with carrying a heavy hand gun).

I am willing to bet that the gentleman in the article was carrying a Glock pistol.  Because "Murphy's Law" is omnipresent, I prefer to carry a pistol that has external safeties. For example, at the range Sunday I had to go to the bathroom. The range provides a low storage unit in the bathroom where you can set stuff on. My hat, shirt, vest, keys, wallet, and the RIA 1911 CS all went on the shelf.  I checked the thumb safety on the RIA 1911 CS to make sure that it was still in the "safe" position before I stuffed it back into the holster. Somehow, the tail of my shirt, got up under the front strap of the firearm as I lowered it into the holster.  I quickly corrected this and I had no fear that the pistol would go off since it takes a combination of thumb safety and grip safety being in the proper position to do so.

I may seem a  bit paranoid, but I would not carry a Glock pistol as my EDC. I'll carry a Springfield (grip safety), a Ruger (thumb safety) and any other pistol with some form of external safety (safety/de-cocking device) over a Glock or other pistol without external safeties. The only way that I would carry a Glock (or similar pistol) is if there is no round chambered (Israeli carry?) or if the Glock was outfitted with an external safety.  But, that's just me, and I know of people who have carried Glock pistols ready to "Glock and Roll" for years without problems and I say good for them.

As far as caliber, I have a healthy investment in 9mm and .45 acp. With that said, shooting my self in the leg with either of them would not be a good thing for me.

A 15-round .44 magnum pistol would not be bad, but I would settle for the 7+1 round L.A.R Grizzly Win Mag (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAR_Grizzly_Win_Mag) chambered in .45 Winchester Magnum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Magnum) that could send a 230-grain .45 caliber bullet downrange at 1400 fps in a 5.4-inch barrel (up to 1600 fps in longer barrels). The pistol weighs in a 53 ounces (3.3 pounds) loaded. I had one of these, loved it, and my heart broke when I had to sell it during bad times.  Unfortunately, the L.A.R is no longer produced, but some can still be found.

Alright, I have had enough fun with this topic.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.