Author Topic: Defensive Shooting Placed in Negative Light  (Read 1002 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Defensive Shooting Placed in Negative Light
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:16:18 AM »
There are some things related to this event that is bothersome to me.  Let's discuss once you read the story.

‘He started crying like a little baby’: 11-year-old brags about shooting suspected home invader

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/05/01/he-started-crying-like-a-little-baby-11-year-old-brags-about-shooting-suspected-home-invader/
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Defensive Shooting Placed in Negative Light
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 03:29:41 PM »
Children generally exercise bad judgement.
It can't be helped, since their brains are not yet fully formed.

In this case, the child exercised bad judgement by shooting at, and hitting, a fleeing person who was no longer any threat to him.
One might say that, since the fleeing burglar was armed, he was a threat to the other people who may be around him, in which case shooting him from behind as he fled was legally justifiable.

However, in opposition, I suggest that, instead, once the burglar was fleeing, it became a matter for the police, and was no longer the province of the child.

Further, I am aghast at the child's braggadocio and evident inhumanity. He is proud of having seriously injured another person, rather than being humbled by the outcome of his actions. Oh, well: He is a child. He is behaving like a child. That is only to be expected.
But the news media is publicizing the wrong part of the story, and is very subtly painting the child as a bloodthirsty killer. And that is despicable and beyond the pale.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

flyover

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 04:01:20 PM »
I think the parents should not have allowed the kid to talk to the press.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 06:06:20 AM »
I think the parents should not have allowed the kid to talk to the press.
That is one big point!  The parents should have shielded the child from any outside inquiries aside from what was necessary to investigate the event.  Again, it shows the irresponsibility of the parents.  This kid is a bully who now believes that he can do anything without repercussion; I sensed that from watching the video.  We will probably be hearing about him again some time in the future.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 10:11:09 AM »
Bullies...there's just too many of those if ya ask me.

And the parents?

I wonder how many times through life I've observed parents praising their children for getting the better of other kids in the neighborhood or in school, thereby condoning and encouraging the child towards even more cruelty...cruelty in the guise of "sportsmanship" or "business" or even bartering, haggling for a better deal on this or that.
(Pardon the run-on sentence please).

While I do not ascribe to the belief that "the mind at birth is a blank tablet, on which experience writes" I must acknowledge the reality of "learned behavior" and the powerful role that parents play in the early years of a child's development.

In other words, I agree whole heartedly that the parents were to blame, in part.  The child bears some of the responsibility in both the decision to fire, and the feelings afterward.  Those things are purely on the child, I'm sure.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.