Author Topic: First Run with a Glock G41  (Read 1708 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
First Run with a Glock G41
« on: May 01, 2016, 09:57:45 AM »
I put fifty rounds through a Glock G41, a rental, this morning while at the range.  To tell the truth, I was not all that impressed.

For me, the sights were inadequate and I would have been better served with a different sight arrangement.  The trigger, while still giving that "Glock" trigger feel, was heavy. The muzzle flip, for a pistol with a long barrel, was excessive and I really had to bear down to get any modicum of accuracy.  I tried the G41 with and without shooting gloves to see if there was any difference in my shooting it.  Now, it may have been me, and anyone who is used to shooting a Glock would probably say that is so, but I could not wring out anything out of this pistol.  Perhaps, more trigger time would have corrected that.  At this point; however, I will say that I do not see a G41 in my future.

For comparison, I shot my summer EDC, a Rock Island Armory CS 1911. This pistol has a 3.5-inch barrel and is considered an "Officer's Model" 1911.  I shot the same ammunition as I did with the G17 - 230-grain FMJ.  Although my shots were high at the same 10-yard distance (The Rock Island Armory CS 1911 is better suited to 185-grain ammunition and I did expect a higher POI than with my Rock Island Armory FS 1911 with its 5-inch barrel), I was able to pull out a 3-inch group offhand.  The muzzle flip was comparable to the G17, but sharper in felt recoil (more like a 10mm, actually).  With a bit more bearing down with the RIA CS and I was able to better control the muzzle flip.

I actually shoot my Glock G21 Gen3 better than I can with the G41 Gen 4.  I will not be trading the former for the latter.

Perhaps, with a sight arrangement change and reducing the trigger pull to a Glock "standard" pull of 5.5 pounds (the G41 has a "tactical trigger that pulls at around 7.5-pounds), I might be able to better my shooting with the G41, but as the G41 is currently configured, I can't say that it is a pistol that I would compete with, use as a house gun for HD, or possibly consider for PD.  That is not to say that the G41 is not an accurate pistol. It is to say that it is not an accurate pistol in my hand. With a few mods it could become accurate for me. 

The 1911 feels natural to me and I have been running them for a long time; familiarity may be part of the equation.  If I spend enough time with the  G41 until it becomes an extension of me, I may change my tune about the Glock G41.

There is also the grip angle. The rental unit that I was shooting had the smallest back strap installed. If I could try it with the larger back strap, my shooting results might have been different. I may ask the range if they are willing to change out the back strap so that I can test my theory - that would be nice of them if they are willing to do that.

For some reason, I really want to like the Glock G41 Gen4, but I just can't like it at this point.

Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Re: First Run with a Glock G41
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 05:29:29 AM »
Having a G41, I find that I would prefer a G34 or G35. G35 would provide more flexibility in that I could run 9mm and .357Sig out of it as well.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 06:37:52 AM »
Having a G41, I find that I would prefer a G34 or G35. G35 would provide more flexibility in that I could run 9mm and .357Sig out of it as well.

Would that apply to the G24?

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 05:16:05 AM »
Any .40 cal Glock should run 9mm and .357Sig with a barrel and perhaps a magazine change (.40 cal mags will run .357Sig and vice versa). To ensure reliability it is recommended that you change the extractor when you move to 9mm.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 06:50:31 AM »
Any .40 cal Glock should run 9mm and .357Sig with a barrel and perhaps a magazine change (.40 cal mags will run .357Sig and vice versa). To ensure reliability it is recommended that you change the extractor when you move to 9mm.

Thanks. Good to know stuff.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 08:54:23 AM »
Indeed.
Some day, I just may have to get myself a Glock...just because.  That interchangeable feature truly appeals to me!

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

EDITED : to correct a typo
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:47:59 AM by oldranger53 »
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 05:14:42 AM »
The conversion ability is almost the only reason I own anything in .40 S&W. You can also change 10mm and .45 ACP on Glock frames if you wish.

www.inshadowinlight.com

oldranger53

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 09:23:51 AM »
I remember the first time I ever viewed a 10mm round.
A friend and coworker at American Airlines in Tulsa had one of those Delta Elite pistols and he was showing it to me.
It was, ummm 1988 I think or perhaps early 1989.
He wanted to sell it to me, but I wasn't in the market (kicking myself now).

Anyways, I remember staring at the round, thinking that it looked sort of like a .45acp...but didn't have any other calibers in front of me to compare with.

Like a 16 gage is sort of like a 12ga and sort of like a 20ga...but isn't .

I still stare at the .40cal rounds, I believe for the same reasons.

Everything is a trade off, no matter what.

Like Bob Seger sang about..."you can try, you can try, but you can't have it all"

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 10:18:45 AM »
Actually, I prefer the 10mm over the 10mm short (.40 S&W).  I shot the 10mm in my SIL's new Tangfolio EAA Witness and it was a very pleasant round to shoot. It was actually more pleasant than shooting a range-load 230-grain .45 acp out of a 3.5-inch barreled 1911.

I just learned that the range has a Springfield Armory XDm 5.25-inch Competition model in .45 acp; I'll be shooting that this coming weekend and compare the G41 against it.  While I like Glock and Springfield pistols, my preference usually goes to the Springfield; I simply seem to shoot them better.  I have the XD 4.0 Service pistol in .45 acp and it is a good shooter; albeit, not one that I would attempt to carry concealed in warm to hot weather IWB. As luck would have it, the XDm came out about a month after I purchased the XD and I wasn't about to trade the XD off for an XDm; there was not enough differences in them at the time to warrant loosing money on the XD.

Hickock45 has a video out with all three (9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp) of the XDm 5.25 Competition models. Aside from capacity and noise, I did not notice much difference in operating any of the three from the video.  I am looking forward to checking out the XDm 5.25 Competition model in .45 acp this weekend.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7tUbLB_6ck" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7tUbLB_6ck</a>

oldranger53

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 01:12:52 PM »
Very interesting video.

I do like the grip safety, Fer sure.

Hummmm, so many guns!...and just so much dough!  Oh my!

EDITED : and I just looked up that there Tangfolio Witness thingy...I kinda like the looks of that one as well.
Humm as above...so many guns!

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 02:25:56 PM »
Very interesting video.

I do like the grip safety, Fer sure.

Hummmm, so many guns!...and just so much dough!  Oh my!

EDITED : and I just looked up that there Tangfolio Witness thingy...I kinda like the looks of that one as well.
Humm as above...so many guns!

The grip safety on the Springfield, for me, is a desirable feature.

The Tangfolio, even in 10mm, is a joy to shoot.  The DA/SA trigger is like the Sig Sauer line of pistols; a smooth but long DA pull and a little take-up for the SA side of it.  It does have a very short reset, and once you figure out where that reset is multiple shots are pretty quick. The sights are small and gave me a little grief at the range, but I still pulled off a respectable group with the first time with the gun.

oldranger53

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 02:38:41 PM »
Cool beans.

Hey, it occurred to me the other day that I'M ALWAYS depressed when we leave the islands.  It's happened every time, no exceptions.

So I apologize for being so curt, and aloof, and detached, and...and....you put the load right on me.

Oops

I have The Band on the stereo right now.  Sorry.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 05:17:02 AM »
I get the same way when I have to leave a place I really enjoy.  I always look forward to going there again.

My sanity comes to mind.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 03:31:33 PM »
Wade, picture in your mind a pretty girl dressed in a grass hula skirt...and a sweater, long-johns, and boots.
She's doing the "come hither" dance, and singing, "Come back, come back, to the islands..."
Oh, yeah...and she's somewhat overweight...

Pine trees are swaying in the background, and it's snowing...

Still sad?
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

oldranger53

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 05:49:50 PM »
Hard to be sad with ALL THAT in my imagery!   Ha!

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 08:25:31 AM »
UPDATE 05/08/2016:

As previously mentioned, I planned to shoot the Springfield XDm 5.25 in .45 acp. This morning, I not only shot the Springfield XDm 5.25 in .45 acp but also the Springfield XDm 5.25 in 9mm, which was great for comparing the two (range rental) pistols.

The trigger was better on the Springfield XDm 5.25 in 9mm and the grip a little smaller than the Springfield XDm 5.25 in .45 acp. However, I shot the Springfield XDm 5.25 in .45 acp better than I did the 9mm.

I had one light primer strike with the Springfield XDm 5.25 in .45 acp, but who knows how many rounds have been put through this pistol and I'm almost sure that the striker channel needs a thorough scrubbing; the round fired fine the second time through.

The trigger pull on both pistols was heavy, but not bad. After all, these guns are meant for competition.  With that said, the triggers are fine for defensive use and I would favor a trigger on the heavy side as compared to too light of trigger for SD work.

The front fiber-optic front sight is useless to me in the range lighting and I relied more on the sight outline.  Both pistols shot low with a 6 o'clock hold, but if I covered what I wanted to hit with the muzzle then I was good to go.  Actually, this is my preferred target sighting.  I was shooting 230-grain FMJ through the Springfield XDm 5.25 in .45 acp and 124-grain FMJ and JHP through the 9mm version.

Of the two pistols, I prefer the .45 acp version and I prefer both of them over the Glock versions.   Muzzle flip on the Springfield XDm 5.25 in .45 acp and G41 seemed about equal and I really had to bear down on both pistols to help mitigate the muzzle flip.

If I had to really change anything, it would be the sights and would probably go with the big dot night sights for my aging eyes.

The Springfield XDm 5.25 in .45 acp is being included in the "A" list of pistols for me.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:16:15 AM by Taurian »

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 12:57:50 PM »
UPDATE 05/09/2016: Common Sense Prevails!

The long-slide .45 acp has been stricken from the "A" list!

I had to ask myself why I would desire a pistol that is no more accurate than what I carry on a daily basis - a Rock Island Armory 1911 FS Standard at that.

The Glock G41, and the Springfield 5.25, is actually less accurate (in my hands) than what I currently carry.  Granted, having a few extra rounds cannot hurt but that should not be the foundation for a decision regarding a pistol.  Perhaps, it is because of the weight of my current EDC, or the fact that the trigger is superior to both the G41 and XDm 5.25 that has swayed my decision against them.

Regardless, the XDm 5.25 is no longer under consideration.