Author Topic: A Bit of Trivia!  (Read 476 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
A Bit of Trivia!
« on: April 15, 2016, 10:15:42 AM »
I was watching the movie "Unforgiven" last night; it is one of my favorite Clint Eastwood western films.  One thing that perplexed me about the film was that I could not identify one of the firearms used in the film.

The firearm was the revolver that William Munny (Clint Eastwood) used for target practice, and discovered that his shooting skills had diminished greatly after ten years or so. The revolver was a Starr 1858 Army black powder percussion revolver.

[attach=1]

The Starr revolver was first introduced in 1858 as a sidearm for the U.S. Army, being called the "Starr 1858 Army". This revolver was a six shot, black powder percussion revolver with a unique feature; a double action or "self-cocking" trigger mechanism. Unfortunately the mechanism was weak and the gun lost favor with soldiers after having their triggers break in combat all too often. To fix this, the gun was given a more simple single action system and reproduced in 1863 as the "Starr 1863 Army" revolver. This model was far more favorable with troops, though other revolvers like the Colt 1860 Army and Remington 1858 New Army were more popular.
   -  http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Starr_1858_Army and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starr_revolver

In the 1994 film Wyatt Earp young Wyatt Earp (Kevin Costner) carries this gun.  This gun is shown in its case in the 1982 film Rambo: First Blood.  By record, the Starr 1858 Army has only been shown in the aforementioned three films.

One also has to note that the 1860 Colt Open Top Revolver used in the film was a black power percussion revolver while the 1858 Remington used by one of the deputies was a cartridge conversion. 

Interesting, huh?
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.