Author Topic: Firearm Transitions  (Read 689 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Firearm Transitions
« on: April 12, 2016, 07:19:47 AM »
I placed this video here because the content of the video, while pertaining in a way to training, is more of preparing/conditioning ourselves in the event that we would find ourselves in a situation that might require both long-gun and and handgun.

It is unfortunate that people, like myself, do not have access to a range that allows this type of preparation/conditioning, but it is something that we can incorporate under "cold" conditions, where "cold" simply means no ammunition involved.  Luckily, I do have an enclosed side-yard where I can practice without being observed.  Also, and since I am retired, I find myself alone at home the majority of the daylight hours and can run some self-imposed drills/scenarios in the privacy of my home.

While we can go all 'Rambo' with ourselves, the fact is that we need to look at the reality of things.  If I am awakened in the middle of the night by a door or window crashing inward, I would find myself retrieving but just one firearm. What I do feel important is that I can effectively transition that particular firearm from one hand to the other and can effectively fire that firearm, from any position, at the intruder if necessary.

In all honesty, I do not prefer a shotgun, AK, or MSR for in-house operations.  I do prefer a light, short, PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine) in a major caliber, but that is just my preference (http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/pistol-caliber-carbines-home-defense/). Your preference, of course, may differ and that's fine.

Regardless, the video brings out some good points for weapon transitions.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-5q-qboVfw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-5q-qboVfw</a>
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Firearm Transitions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 03:58:01 PM »
Although he shows the moves, he stands rooted on the spot. Not good tactics. Not good technique.
I can understand that, to display the transition he wants you to see, he may have to stand still. But if that's the case, he should speak about that. Otherwise, he's teaching you bad technique.

He's got his rifle rigged with a "gee whizz" tactical carry sling. I don't use one of those, because I prefer to "sling up" like a real rifleman. But that's OK: "Diff'rent strokes," as they say.
But what I've trained myself to do, whether or not I have to remain in one spot, is to drop to one knee. Lower is better, after all. But that's not all. Remember that my rifle is not attached to my body.

I use my rifle as a pistol rest. As I drop to one knee, I also place my rifle's butt on the ground. Therefore I am still in full control of my rifle, using my left hand to hold it upright like a post.
At the same time, I send my right hand for my pistol, draw it, and present it pressed against my upright rifle, using the rifle, and maybe even my left hand as well, as a pistol rest.

Since I'm only on my one knee, moving around is easy. I can swivel, or I can crawl, or I can even get up quickly and run.
I can even use my rifle as a club, if someone gets too close. Try that with a "gee whizz" tactical sling rigged to your body.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: Firearm Transitions
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 04:07:26 PM »
Although he shows the moves, he stands rooted on the spot. Not good tactics. Not good technique.
I can understand that, to display the transition he wants you to see, he may have to stand still. But if that's the case, he should speak about that. Otherwise, he's teaching you bad technique.

I agree, but I thought that I would post it anyway. Dynamics are important and different situations call for different dynamics.  If nothing else, the video should provide the impetus for analyzing and questioning one's own transition techniques.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.