Every now and then you purchase something that is simply awesome for the price paid, and that can be used not only for the intended purpose but for other purposes as well. Such would be the case for the MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag System. As I go through the features, I think that you will agree with me.
Normally, when I go to the range I carry a small but useful range bag that is intended to support whatever I am planning to shoot for the range session. My “possible” bags are weapon dependent. This means that I have a separate “possible” bag for each category of firearm. For example, I have a “possible” bag for the Mosin-Nagant rifle, a separate “possible” bag for the SKS, a separate “possible” bag for the AK, and so on. Each possible bag has items that I need to support a particular weapons platform, to include magazines and ammunition. What I needed was a range bag that was suitable to support multiple firearms should I choose to include them in my range practice. I also needed something that could accommodate items not directly related to specific firearms; for example, hearing protection, first aid supplies, a means to carry a container of liquid, etc. The MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag System provides that and more.
Let’s cover some of the basics first before I get into some details about the bag.
- 5 bags in 1
- Heavy duty zippers
- Reinforced stitching
- Material: PVC Coated Polyester
- Capacity: 2404 C.I.
- Weight: 6.06 lbs.
- Length: 22″
- Width: 15″
- Height: 10″
- Main Compartment: 17″ x 10″ x 10″
- 2 removable padded pistol rugs with zippers 8-½” H x 12″ W fit most large frame semi-auto pistols and revolvers with barrels up to 6″
Removable stage bag/ammunition carrier with carrying handles for portability 15″ L x 5″ W x7-½”H
- Front: 2 Padded zippered pockets (8″ L x 2″ W x 8″ H), MidwayUSA Logo Embroidered
- Rear: 8″ x 2″ x 16″, 8 magazine pouches, Internal padded pocket 8″ x 15.5″, 12 various sized internal elastic accessory holders designed to hold brushes, jags etc for calibers from 50 down to 17
- Left: 4″ x 2″ 8″, 1 padded bottle holder with drain hole
- Right: 8″ x 2″ x 8″, 5 internal elastic accessory holders (1.25″ x 2.5″)
- Shoulder Carry Strap: Yes, 2″ W x 52″ L removable carrying strap with shoulder pad and chrome plated steel clasps
- Handle Carry Handles: Yes, wraparound with hook & loop closure
- Removable stage bag/ammunition carrier features:
2 Padded zippered pockets (7-½” H x 15″ L)
2 Padded moveable hook and loop equipped compartment walls
2 Chrome plated steel D-rings for quick attachment of the carry strap
- Full wrap-around nylon handles
- 2 removable padded pistol rugs features: 8.5″ x 12″ will fit most large frame semi-auto pistols and revolvers with barrels up to 6″
- Total Number of Pockets: 9
- The bottom is also protected by two1-1/2” x 5” x 3/8” rubber strips that are well attached with heavy stitching through additional webbing for maximum protection.
If you are packing three guns to the range, the MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag System would be a good choice in providing supports for all three of them.
All zippers are double-stitched and reinforced. Zipper pulls are metal and incorporate pull tabs. The shoulder strap is made of heavy-duty webbing and also has a soft pad, the inner portion of which is a non-slip material, for comfort when carrying the bag. The carry handles are also of heavy webbing and the two carrying handles can be secured in the middle with a wrap-a-round hook & loop grip piece.
The inner, removable compartment also has a set of carrying handles and storage capabilities.
While the Removable stage bag/ammunition carrier is useful for that purpose, I found it more useful for carrying/protecting my Howard Leight Sport Electronic Ear Muff and a set of shooting gloves; the Removable stage bag/ammunition carrier can be attached to an outside D-ring, or to a belt loop, with its metal snap-hook to free up even more space within the main bag.
With my first outing with the bag, I needed the bag to provide support for; a MSR, a 20-gauge shotgun, a 1911 in .45ACP, and a 1911 in 9mm. This was in addition to my 1911 EDC that was on my hip in an IWB holster. I was able to incorporate the three “possible” bag contents for each category of weapon in a single bag that included enough ammunition for the range session plus a good supply of magazines for each. While the bag was heavy, the soft-sided exterior kept it from banging into my hip with every step. Although I wished that I had one of those two-wheeled collapsible carts to attach it to, the MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag System held its own on its own.
I was impressed with the MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag System so much that I ordered a second one in Coyote Tan to use as a BOB, GHB, or simply as an in-vehicle emergency bag final use as yet to be determined).
At the time of this writing, the MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag System is on sale for $49.99 (regular price = $89.99) with the exception of the Multicam color ($59.99) and, I feel, is an excellent price for what you get.
MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag System: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/288297/midwayusa-competition-range-bag-system
(Click an image to enlarge)