When I recently purchased a Ruger AR-556 I had already decided that I would mount an optic (of some sort) to the rifle (at some time). I had already decided that I didn’t want the hassle of co-witnessing, but needed the optic to be quickly removed or installed as needed. I also needed the optic to work on my Windham Weaponry ‘SRC.’
The Windham Weaponry is a flat-top model and I installed a set of flip up front and rear sights previously, as the firearm came without sights installed. The Ruger AR-556; however, is equipped with both a Ruger flip-up rear sight and Ruger’s A2-style front sight. The optic had to be transferable between the two firearms, if needed. I also needed the optic to clear the rear sight on both rifles, as I wanted to keep the rear sight mounted for back-up use.
The Rail Risers:I needed just enough height to clear the rear sight and the UTG #RS08S3, 3-slot Medium Profile Riser Mount seemed to be the answer. I did not want a full-rail so two of these units supplied the necessary scope mounting points
- New Generation riser mount for rifles with Picatinny/Weaver rail
- 1 Picatinny rail with 3 slots
- Side plate with spring tension for quick and easy installation
- Precision machined from aircraft aluminum with matte black anodizing
- Dimensions: 1.6 by 1.75 by 1 inches (L x W x H)
The Scoop on the Scope:When I purchased the Windham Weaponry SRC, I had also purchased the BARSKA 3-9×42 IR 2nd Generation Sniper Riflescope with full intention of using the scope for distance shooting.
- 100-Percent waterproof and fog proof with extra rigid shockproof construction
- Multi-Coated optics for clear crisp images with illuminated red and green mil-dot reticules
- Easy-grip target-style windage and elevation adjustments and side parallax adjustment.
- 1/4 MOA click adjustment, makes this scope precise and easy to use in tactical environments
- Includes protective scope caps, lens cloth and set of rings.
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- 1-Inch tube construction with built-in sniper edged sun-shade is set back in the housing to allow the sun shade to cast a shadow and reduce glare for use in bright sun conditions
Not Onion Rings:The scope rings that came attached to the UTG #RS08S3, 3-slot Medium Profile Riser Mount were totally inadequate; while the base is adequate for mounting the rings to the Picatinny rail, the Phillip head screws for the scope strip easily. For that reason a new set of Warne Scope Mounts Medium Matte Permanent Attach Rings for a 1-inch scope tube was ordered.
- The Warne Scope Mounts Medium Matte Permanent Attach Rings are made of steel and will fit your Weaver style scope bases
- Size is 1 inch medium
- Color is matte black
- Maxima Fixed Rings are designed to be the strongest, most durable fixed mounting systems available. They utilize 4T-15 Torx style cross slot bases and incorporate a Warne square stainless steel recoil control key in both the front and rear rings. The square recoil key also protects against swaging or peening of the bases. The Maxima Fixed Ring band is also substantially wider for additional clamping surface around the scope to hold the optics firmly in place.
The rings, although intended for a Weaver base, will work on the Picatinny rail of the UTG #RS08S3, 3-slot Medium Profile Riser Mount; albeit a slight forward and rear looseness until the two bottom scope mount screws are properly tightened. If there is any shifting of the mounts on the riser, only the riser will be damaged and not the top rail of the rifle. I can, if necessary, fabricate a couple of shims to limit any movement of the scope mounts. If necessary, Warne also makes a set of QD scope mounts for the AR rail.
Totally Mounted, Dude!The scope mounting point were estimated and the UTG #RS08S3, 3-slot Medium Profile Riser Mount popped right into place on the Picatinny rail of the Ruger AR-556. The spring-loaded adjustment base helped to retain the mounts on the rail while they were fully tightened by simply turning the QD knobs.
The Warne scope rings were separated and placed on the scope. Caution was needed with these rings as the center guide falls out when the two halves are separated and loosing them would be a game stopper. Once loosely assembled with the scope, the rings were adjusted for the center slot of the two risers and tightened slightly to hold the scope bases onto the risers. As there is some back and forth play between the scope bases and the Picatinny rail, the bases were moved rearward until they contacted the rearmost part of the Picatinny slot and then tightened slightly again to hold them in place. Since the rings are permanent attach types, the scope, scope ring/base, and riser will be removed and installed as a unit.
With the help of the Wheeler level-level-level and the Wheeler Fat Wrench, the scope was leveled and secured in place at 20-inch pounds of torque.
It was time for a function check. I closed my eyes, rested my face against the Mission First Tactical E-Volv Battlestock Cheek Rest, opened my sighting eye and a perfect scope picture was before me. The eye relief of the scope was near perfect and I only had to shift my face ever-so-slightly rearward with the adjustable stock fully extended. The scope assembly was removed and placed on the Windham Weaponry ‘SRC’ and again, the scope picture was perfect. I now had a medium to long range scope setup that would work with both rifles and the UTG #RS08S3, 3-slot Medium Profile Riser Mount made that happen.
With everything in place, bore sighting and range zeroing will be next.
UTG #RS08S3, 3-slot Medium Profile Riser Mount: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TX2BD4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
BARSKA 3-9×42 IR 2nd Generation Sniper Riflescope: http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-3-9×42-Generation-Sniper-Riflescope/dp/B007QEUWSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423964668&sr=8-1&keywords=BARSKA+3-9×42+IR+2nd+Generation+Sniper+Riflescope
Warne Scope Mounts Medium Matte Permanent Attach Rings (1-Inch): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NK4JC2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(Possible scope ring replacement) Warne Maxima 1″ Ar15 Flat Top U-High: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016LEVL6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=Q8X6JBTGBISS&coliid=I280J4OSUY8OPM
Mission First Tactical E-Volv Battlestock Cheek Rest: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3022124224/mission-first-tactical-e-volv-battlestock-cheek-rest-ar-15-polymer?cm_vc=ProductFinding